Thursday, August 22, 2013

clotheslines 101

Cody and our landlord recently put a clothesline in the backyard and I am so very excited! Some ladies like receiving jewelry or fancy chocolates or clothes or a bouquet of roses...just install a clothesline for me and I can't get much happier.

I imagined how cute Baby K's diapers will look, all lined up and pinned up and bleaching in the sun. Or how good it'll feel to again use a sun-dried towel after a shower. Yes, yes, please.

Since I was washing our sheets and bedding anyway, I decided to have them dry outside on the clothesline. I grabbed some clothespins and hauled the laundry basket to the backyard. Soon the line was full of wet linens all happily hanging in the bright sunshine. They'll be dry in 30 minutes and the bed'll be made before 10:00am, I thought to myself and went inside to do some more housework.

An hour later, I heard thunder. And then I saw rain. And then I remembered the laundry on the clothesline. 'Twas too late to rescue my linens; they received another rinsing. Three more, in fact, by the end of the day. Silly rainy season. There would be a shower, the sun would come out and dry the sheets, I'd remember them just as another rain shower started, then the sun would dry them again, but I'd forget about them until after another shower came...and on and on and on.

So now they're drying in the drier. First attempt at using my clothesline = fail. But we're learning, right? And I didn't use any more electricity than I would have originally! And I'm going to have extra clean sheets tonight when I go to bed. It all sounds good to me.

No comments: